Followers

Friday, January 11, 2013

MAGNUS WEIDEMANN ON HIS 75TH BIRTHDAY

Magnus Weidemann
(1880-1967)

I was born in Hamburg on 17 Dec. 1880. At first I was somewhat hindered, partly as consequence of the city life, partly due to the way I was brought up. My father was a teacher. I had only brothers and therefore I looked at life in a somewhat biased way. Yet my education was first class and by no means without spiritual joy. Very early I showed a great love for nature. Since I was not allowed to “become” an artist, I chose to study theology (Protestant). I have always painted. Already as a pupil and a student I introduced the bathing in the nude among my friends, however only “among ourselves.” The other sex, the full knowledge of beauty and liberty in the whole enlightened life joined in later and very successfully.


I worked as a clergyman for 15 years. At the end of this time, the First World War burst out. For 2 years I served in the Red Cross, then I looked out for contact with the youth movement. Thus I came across the naturist organization. I found a friend in Master Fidus; I photographed and painted the human shape. At forty, I resigned my pastorship, yet only with the aim of working completely in a liberal profession as a painter and a writer. It was no breach of my convictions at all. In my own house in the country near Hamburg, I created and managed the monthly magazine “Die Freude,” later on together with Robert Laurer. A great deal of my pictures and essays were published in it. Then I moved to another place. As a painter of the sea I chose the North Sea isle of Sylt. I have lived there for 30 years, in spiritual activity in every field: painting, writing, social-ethical connection with the naturist movement. I managed a registrar's office for some years, i.e. throughout the Second World War, thus remaining in close touch with life. Never have I been keen on fame and honour. Quietly, however, all my work and all my ideas have been effective.


Now in my old days, I find the responding, from Switzerland to Sweden –whenever I travel about, though all my publications were destroyed and lost. My paintings and pictures are widely spread. Unity was at the base of my convictions and made me find the plain formula: “God is Joy.” Full of religious, philosophic and life-carrying earnestness this conception is the result of 75 years' of striving to seek, find and pass on.


Thus may my life go on tinkling to its last time!


(Source: INF/FNI Press Service, 1956)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Our new site for naturism welcomes you!

  https://gymnokratia.gr