Followers

Monday, January 21, 2013

ALL THINGS TO ALL MEN (1986-14)

Delving into my subconscious for what naturism means to me brings me face to face with what it means to others. Freedom to be oneself? Exchange of one uniform for another? A commitment to a sort of pagan God? A passport to hedonism? A license to be sexy? A way of coming to terms with the forces of nature? A religion? An ism?

There are so many sorts of naturism as there are naturists. Everybody has a different view of the measuring of the apparently insignificant act of taking one's trousers off.

For topless isn't nude. But wearing tee-shirts with no knickers definitely is! To be a naturist you reveal your all in a social setting. No matter how remote or ethereal your thoughts, you cannot “join the club” unless you take your clothes off. And that means your trousers.

This is such a small act, why does it mean so much? Some naturists feel that “who is not for us is against us” and cannot understand why some people choose to keep their trousers on. And yet, if it is so natural, why do we feel the urge to “convert” others and persuade them to it?

There is a very real danger of naturism becoming an “ism”... of having rules... once people argue about definitions –and they do! – we are in real danger of exchanging one system of ethics for another.

We start by enjoying the freedom of naturism –we and by telling others that naturism SHOULD be this, that or the other.

That is why the beaches are so important. Society is not so structured there. I don't feel myself there are no rules, but the rules are not written down, there is no entry fee, no application for membership. It's freedom.

Of course it's risky. We feel friendly towards the other naturist, and generally he feels friendly back. But his ideas about naturism may be completely different from ours. He may think it O.K. to do something we regard as exhibitionism. He may find us upright. Or the reverse may be issue.

Or anything in the world might be true.

It makes life more interesting. Naturism is a perpetual learning experience. I have learnt more about human nature among naturists, than ever before. Some of it is to my taste, some isn't. But it's all illuminating.

And just as my body is open to the sun and wind, to the sensations of cold, heat and the touch of others, I hope my mind will always be open enough to accept that the opinion of the next naturist is at least as valid as mine.

I hope, in the philosophical sense, naturism will teach me to keep my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut! Life is so short, oh so short. I want to be receptive, to reach out to others, and although my sun runs so rapidly across the sky, I take off my clothes and ask it just one more thing –to born a little more brightly.
Susan Mayfield

(The author is originator and publisher of “Naturist World” magazine, sold in English by subscription only.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our new site for naturism welcomes you!

  https://gymnokratia.gr