Followers

Sunday, November 18, 2012

HITLER APPROVES NUDISM (!)


Only very recently I returned from a four year's stay in Germany. Upon arriving here, it was indeed a most pleasant surprise to see a publication such as THE NUDIST on the newsstands.

At first I could hardly believe my eyes, but there it was, shining beacon of progress, on one of the most fundamental, yet still so dark, paths of modern humanity!

And how my eyes feasted on the contrast which the serene, restful pose of the May issue cover presented among the garish over-sexed covers of other magazines. Therefore, these good wishes for success to the publication! May continued progress crown your courageous endeavor!

Also a sincere word of praise from an artist whose aim in life is figure painting, to the originator of the cover-vignette, very fitting tribute indeed to one of the oldest and best of human instincts; the joy of possessing one of God's own masterpieces—a human body.

One can write easily at length of the splendid illustrations, the many articles—for when America does something it does not do it halfway once being started. I cannot help compare these two last numbers of THE NUDIST and their perfection, to the long painful path which German publications had to tread when they first began. And I believe I am qualified to express this opinion since my conversion to nudism goes back to 1896.

My father took us children to what I believe was the very first public “licht-luft-sonnenbad” (light, air, and sun bath) near Berlin, which, at this time, formed an annex to the old bicycle race-tracks in Charlottenburg.

From then on, I have been either active in the movement or, at least, an ardent sympathizer, and as much reaped plenty of abuse during the late Victorian period.

Perhaps, urged by the memory of this even more than by the “sense of fair play,” I should like to offset, if possible, a remark printed in your June issue: “Hitler is against nudism.” Let me say first, that if I am a Hitlerite now, he won me over by gradually overcoming every possible prejudice the human heart could muster. I still doubt that he really is he statesman he would like to be. One thing appears certain; he is of a sincerity of purpose which marks him as quite unique. And that is both his strong and weak point.

I was very fortunate to hear a remark of his regarding his attitude towards nudism, and this is what you ought to know and if possible publish:
“Nudism was started in Germany,” said he, “as an out-growth of a definite national consciousness. It has and still has the right to live. Unfortunately, like many other things, nudism has been made a vehicle for commercial exploit by certain unscrupulous people. These must go. There is no better way to rebuild a building than to raze the old. This might mean destruction or temporary discarding of a good stone, column or ornament. One cannot help that. Anything I advocate is guided by this principle. If German consciousness wants nudism, it shall have it again, but on the clean foundation on which it was started.”

I believe the man is much misunderstood. Only time will prove one way or the other, but Hitler is convinced of the truth “that only in a healthy body can be a healthy mind.” Nudism is the royal road to both. Too long have we forgotten this truth.                                                                                                                                                   T.H.K.
                                                                                                                                            
(Source: The Nudist, Vol. II, No. 5, July, 1933)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our new site for naturism welcomes you!

  https://gymnokratia.gr